Ways to Save Energy at Home and Spend Less
Posted by 54 Realty on Monday, August 8, 2022 at 2:59 PM By 54 Realty / August 8, 2022 Comment
Tips and tricks that will help save energy and money at home!
Energy-efficient home upgrades are not only environmentally responsible, but also can save money over time. Below are some tips/tricks that can help the environment and lower your bills.
- Buy Energy-Efficient Appliances - major appliances are the third biggest energy hog behind heating, cooling and water heating. By replacing outdated appliances with energy efficient models you can help the environment and lower your bills.
- Use Occupancy Sensors - if you have trouble remembering to turn off lights when you leave a room then occupancy sensors can be beneficial. Occupancy sensors automatically turn off when there hasn't been movement for a period of time.
- Unplug Unused Electronics - leaving gadgets or chargers plugged in can account for as much as 10% of a home's energy use. Simply unplugging unused devices can save a decent amount on your bill.
- Use Cold Water for Laundry - by using cold water for laundry you save energy from the water heater. In summer months consider hang drying clothes instead of the dryer. Reducing your use of a dryer can save up to $100 year.
- Turn Down the Temperature on your Water Heater - most water heaters are set to 140 degrees Fahrenheit. By adjusting the max to 110-120 degrees, the water is still at a comfortable temperature and will be more cost effective.
- Replace Filters - check your HVAC filter each month and replace the filter. A dirty filter increases energy bills and decreases the life of your heating/cooling system.
- Upgrade Windows - if your home has single pane windows considue replacing them with high-performance double pane Energy Star windows. These recude energy loss and thermal heat transfer.
- Utilize the Sun - take advantage of using the sun by opening south facing windows and close them at night. On hot days block out the warmth by keeping blinds shut or use window treatments.
These hacks will help save the environment and your wallet! Win-win.
Post a Comment