Tips for Furnishing your Home
6 Expert Tips for Furnishing your Home
We all know that purchasing a home, especially your first home, comes with the opportunity to decorate and personalize your own space. Your home is unique to you and represents your style. There are so many options, so many price ranges, and sometimes it can be a little overwhelming. Here are 6 tips from interior design experts to help you furnish your home and make it your own!
1. Take some time to determine which furniture types will suit your needs and fit the spaces in your new home. Start with the basic necessities like a bed, couch, table, and a few chairs. How much space do you really have? Will a king-size bed fit comfortably in your new room or will you need to get a Queen or even a Full? Is your living space suitable for a sectional sofa or maybe a smaller couch and a couple of lounge chairs? You can then start prioritizing the purchase of your furnishings based on where you spend the most time and the things you actually need asap.
2. If you have a tight budget, consider buying and refurbishing used furniture. There are so many options to buy cheap used furniture that is still in good condition like tables, nightstands, bed frames, etc. Also looking at discount or thrift stores is a huge opportunity to find one-of-a-kind pieces for a cheap price. A nice cleaning and these pieces can look brand new!
3. Study the interior floor plan and the measurements of wall spaces prior to purchasing any furnishings. Furniture size and placement will be dependent upon the location of outlets, air vents, door openings, and stairways.
4. Before you begin selecting your interior decor, determine what your personal style is so you can easily find what brings you comfort. It may be contemporary, traditional, or a mix of both! Making sure that colors and textures match is a huge aspect of making a home feel comfortable.
5. Accessories will help establish who you are in your new home. Decorative items will also tie your design elements together. You can add candles, wall art, plants, rugs, and cozy linens to create a warm and inviting ambiance. Making sure art pieces look well together, and are the correct size for the wall are all just as important. Plants being in the correct spot that suits their environment and sunlight needs as well as the correct size, how big they will grow.
6. Good lighting will enhance your home’s interior, highlight your furnishings and improve its functionality. Control the natural light with appropriate window treatments and add smaller artificial light sources to create intimate spaces. White lights instead of yellow lights will make a world of a difference when it comes to smaller rooms like bathrooms and laundry rooms.
The thought of furnishing your vacant new home can be overwhelming, but taking your time and making sure you are getting the right sizes, good quality, and affordable for you, is what's most important. Make your home YOU!
Post a Comment