DIY Insulation Projects
Quick and Easy DIY Home Insulation Projects
In order to efficiently heat your home, the weather doesn't have to be your enemy. For a few minutes and a few dollars, here are some do-it-yourself home insulation projects that will improve the comfort of your home.
1. Some of the biggest sources of loss of warm air are gaps around windows and doors. You can easily prevent conditioned air from escaping by using weather stripping, rope caulk, or foam tape around windows or doors.
2. Appliances and bathrooms that vent to the outside may have air leaks. Applied to the vent's outer edge where it meets the wall, a simple bead of caulk prevents air loss.
3. Drafts coming from under a door can be quickly remedied by pushing a door snake along the opening under the door. In a pinch, save $20 and use a rolled-up blanket. or towel.
4. For an added layer of insulation, apply cold-blocking window film to your windows. You don’t lose any light and you will reduce heat loss by about 10%.
5. Wrapping your pipes in fiberglass pipe sleeves will keep them from losing heat and aid in preventing burst pipes on extremely cold days. An additional result will be warmer water in your home.
6. An open fireplace can cause a big heating bill. Insert an inflatable fireplace plug into the opening when not in use to keep out cold air and keep warm air inside.
7. Adding an insulation blanket to an older water heater or one that is located in a cold drafty area will reduce the energy needed to heat water for your home.
Post a Comment